Tuesday 7 June 2011

Quick Quiz: #1 Rebecca Atkinson-Lord

1.    Where are you working at present?

At Oval House Theatre – I’m the new Director of Theatre, a role I share with Rachel Briscoe

2. Describe your occupation and why you love it.

I’m responsible for Oval House’s Theatre programme. I choose what projects to develop for production in our two theatres, and which artists we want to forge relationships with for potential future work. That’s a bit simplistic as a description, but it’ll do! I love the job because it gives me a real chance to sculpt the theatre landscape. I also work as a freelance director, so I’m lucky to be able to sit on both sides of the fence – to be working in the theatre community and spot a need – and then be able to use my other ‘Director of Theatre’ hat to help meet it.

3. Who do you most like working with and why?


Rachel Briscoe, my Co-Director of Theatre. It’s great to have someone in the same position as me to bounce ideas off and debate with. Rache and I think in similar ways but often come up with totally different conclusions – that can be really exciting and inspiring.

4. What's your dream day?

How realistic do I have to be on this one? Does it have to be a working day? Can I choose to be the Artistic Director of the National Theatre of Fiji?

5. Favourite ever show and why?


Wow. Um. I’m not sure. I see a lot of theatre and there are some that I love for their artistic brilliance and others that I cherish for their importance to me rather than any particular professional quality of achievement. When I was about 5, my parents took me to see a stage adaptation of ‘The Hobbit’ at the Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham. I remember it so clearly and my professional self is sceptical of some of the artistic choices. Through my 5 year old eyes though, it was this magical world of wonder and I was absolutely heartbroken when Thorin Oakensheild died. I remember sobbing so loudly the usher came and shushed me! I think that was the moment I first began to understand how powerful theatre could be –simply because it absolutely captivated and touched me to such an extent that a quarter of a century later I can still see it perfectly in my mind’s eye.

6. Favourite actor/actress and why?


At the moment I rather like David Thewlis- I saw him in Beseiged a few weeks ago and his performance floored me. I’m also a long-term fan of Angus Wright who consistently surprises me. Who else? Well. For the girls team, I think Andrea Riseborough is great – we were at RADA at the same time and I remember her final year performances as quite luminous. Ellie Piercy is wonderful too.. oh there are hundreds.

7. Favourite band/musical artist and why?


Well. My guilty secret is Dolly Parton. I love the storytelling in her songs – and I do a mean Karaoke Jolene.

8. Where do you see yourself in 25 years?

I have absolutely no idea. Hopefully running a theatre that I love directing work that changes the world.

9. Any exciting future projects you'd like to mention?

Well… I’m not supposed to tell you … but I’d keep your eyes peeled for details of our Autumn Season (it involves Stella Duffy and an ensemble of Kiwis creating a piece about Sea Monsters just for us). It’s going to be a corker. 
 
10. Random one: what's your favourite cheese?


I grew up in Greece, so it’s got to be a hard goats cheese they make in my village called Kefalotyri.


11. Do you have Twitter? Do you follow @the_prompt? You should...

Yes I tweet as @OvalDirector and @BexArch468 depending on which professional ‘hat’ I’m wearing. And I already follow The Prompt of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment